Sunday, September 15, 2013

Good Eats: Chicken Pot Pie


I love chicken-pot pie.  I don't like all the condensed soups that create the filling, though.  I also am not a big fan of making my own crust from scratch, so I prefer the "semi-homemade" chicken pot pie...this way I can get all the flavors, none of the condensed soups, and still can cheat and use refrigerated pie crusts :) .

This recipe has become a staple for us...it is one of the only recipes that J remembers to ask "can we have that pot pie again next week"...which means I am happy to oblige.

The original recipe is located here, and her pictures do this dish far more justice than mine... I didn't seal my edges all the way so my crust is not nearly as beautiful as hers, (but it was still delicious!)

This is also one of those dishes that you can freeze in Tupperware and you can reheat it and it tastes delicious all over again.  (sigh)....I absolutely love simple recipes that are delicious and you can reheat frozen portions later...what a beautiful thing.

On to the recipe.....


Ingredients:

 1 box of pie crusts, at room temperature (I let mine sit out for 15 minutes prior to using them)
 1/3 cup unsalted butter
 1/2 cup chopped onion
 1/3 cup AP flour
 1/2 tsp salt
 1/4 tsp pepper
 1 and 3/4 cup chicken broth
 1/2 cup skim milk
 1 lb cooked, shredded chicken (I baked mine at 350 for 40 minutes and shredded it in my kitchenaid
         mixer..I also sprinkled it with Lawry's seasoned salt)
 1 small bag frozen, mixed veggies, thawed (around 2.5 cups)
 
 


Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 425.  Spray glass pie dish with cooking spray.  Place bottom crust in greased dish. 
2. In saucepan over medium, melt butter.  Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. 
3. Add sat, pepper, and flour.  Gradually add milk and broth.  Continue to cook and stir until it is bubbly (you may increase the heat to medium-high to achieve the bubbles as needed)
4. Stir in shredded chicken and thawed mixed vegetables.  Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened.  Remove from heat.
5. Pour into bottom pie crust.  Top with second crust and seal the edges.  Cut slits into top crust to permit airflow.
6. Bake 30-40 minutes (if your edges begin to brown too much, cover pie crust edges with tin foil after 15 minutes of cooking).
7. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
 
 
 
Simple enough? I vote yes. So much so, that this is on next weeks' meal plan as well :)
 
 
 

Happy cooking, y'all,

Virginia

 
 

 


13 comments:

  1. I so agree - I love the pre-made crust & love that there's no condensed soups! I'm glad it's in your rotation & thanks for the picture compliments =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this pie for a family reunion and was asked for the recipe. I did make a panko crumb topping instead of using a top crust and did not use potatoes. It turned out really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have still cook it for the same amount of time? Did you just add panko crumbs or did you do something to them first? Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Did you have still cook it for the same amount of time? Did you just add panko crumbs or did you do something to them first? Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Did you have still cook it for the same amount of time? Did you just add panko crumbs or did you do something to them first? Thank you!

      Delete
  3. yummm this looks fantastic, chicken pot pie is SUCH a great comfort food :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recently and it was delicious! Planning on making it again this week! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night... delicious!! Even my daughter who says she doesn't like pot pie loved it and had seconds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take it a step easier and use a rotisserie chicken instead of baking a chicken. Also, beat an egg and brush it on the crust before putting it in the oven for a nicer crust.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store that is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This had been a huge hit every time I've made it. My daughter is having a baby this weekend and she requested it for her first meal when she brings the baby home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my favorite, go-to recipe for chicken pot pie. It's super easy, delicious, and I think it's pretty near perfect without making any adjustments. The only thing I do different is boil my veggies a little so they aren't as hard. This is my favorite comfort food!

    ReplyDelete